Tuesday, August 29, 2017

7-11

What sort of person would I be, if my life had been different--if I had been held with cautious and gentle hands? 

I was sensitive, brimming. 

Delicacy untended hardens over time into thick heavy walls. 

Every day is a choice, every word we must own, every action our responsibility. A butterfly stretching its wings may change the world--what choices, made by me and others, have brought me here?

Would I be softer if I hadn’t slept on blankets on floors, if I hadn’t had so many hurts to look to before my own, if I were taught that it was not weakness to show fear and hurt? 

An infinite day-by-day. 

Perhaps I might have been different, but I am who I am. I fought hard. I am proud of my lion’s heart and my castle walls and every one of my strange habits. 

I am a girl of silk and broken glass. I am lace and nettles. I tend to my own internal garden, and it grows bright and strong behind the tall gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment