Wednesday, May 9, 2018

There will come soft rains

It's pouring pouring, I can't see through the windshield but I don't feel anxious. I think I've used up my anxiety for the next few weeks. It's time to reboot. I drive on, thoughtless, numb, enjoying the smell and the hard thrumming on my window. 

Tears roll down but they're the usual tears, and I'm too tired to pay them any mind. I can't think the big life thoughts today. I can't contemplate love and loss. I loved, I lost. Jesus. It's over. 

New beginnings, new doorways, and here I sit crying in the car. Do I miss being treated like I don't matter?

I don't miss how he treated me; I miss how much I loved him. Despite how he treated me. Isn't that the rub?

I miss being insanely stupidly in love. I never thought it would happen to me. I wish it hadn't.

She asks me about the new one, asks me how I feel, senses me out, and I don't have much to say. I can't feel much for someone else when I'm still caught up on the one that broke me. I'm working on it, though. I tell her like she's my therapist, like I'm sending her a slip to get back to work, like I'm sitting in a meeting after a disastrous business choice. I am working on it. I understand the things I did and felt were not good for me, and I am working on being better. Every day I try to improve.

Every day I just strive to be better. Better than who I was, better than who I expected to be. It falls into place and I become this strange good person who is working hard and building successes, and it doesn't quite feel right, so I just cry at night and try harder. 

It's been a long time now. A long time. I want to be over it. I want to embrace the new things that warm me up - shoulders in the dark, hands in mine, breathing in my ear. 

Jesus. I am afraid. I am caught up and broken still, I've lost sight of who I am. I think I've found me again, and then something changes - the storm rolls in, the radio plays a song, and everything crumbles. 

Jesus. Can I please stop being this broken-hearted girl. 

The swearing becomes a prayer, the longer I say it, the more I mean it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment